Held annually since 1986 (with just a COVID-imposed gap in 2020 and 2021), way before the current cycling boom, the Hayling Cycle Ride is almost certainly the oldest UK-based, multi-day charity ride and indeed possibly the oldest in the World. It was originally a ride from Paris to Hayling hence it is often referred to as "The Paris To Hayling" and indeed the French capital, or somewhere close by, often features in the route.We leave Hayling Island on a Sunday in early July, ride for five days usually in France, and return on the following Saturday. Destinations and routes vary from year to year. The only condition for entry to the ride is that you raise at least £150 for charity in addition to the entry fee.
Key features of this special event include:
- You can ride for any charity you chose
- You pay for 100% of your ride; all sponsorship raised goes to charity; sponsors are not paying for your holiday
- The ride is supported: we carry your luggage between hotels, arrange refreshment stops along the route, and we are there to help if anything goes wrong
- We provide printed and electronic routes so you can travel at your own pace on your own bike either with friends, in groups, or on your own
- The Ride is organised entirely by unpaid volunteers; even support team members pay to participate
- We focus on making the event as enjoyable as possible with great en-route stops and fantastic camaraderie; many riders return year after year, finding the ride truly addictive